France working for EU ratification of climate agreement [fr]
Paris Agreement – European Union/Slovakia – Communiqué issued by the Ministry of the Environment, Energy and Marine Affairs
Paris, 9 September 2016
In this decisive six-month period for the ratification of the Paris Agreement, and with two months to go until COP22, the COP21 President visited Slovakia – which has, since 1 July, held the presidency of the Council of the European Union – to meet Robert Fico, the Prime Minister.
On this occasion, Ségolène Royal:
• reviewed the progress of the ratification of the Paris Agreement by the countries of the European Union. To date, only three European countries have formally ratified it.
• highlighted the importance of the Slovak presidency’s role in the current timetable.
• requested an early meeting of an extraordinary Council of European Ministers if the European Parliament decides to bring forward its vote.
To support the efforts, the COP21 President added that she had:
• sent a letter of encouragement and mobilization regarding the ratification of the Paris Agreement to all European heads of government.
• met Donald Tusk, President of the European Council, and called Martin Schulz, President of the European Parliament, who assured her of their full support.
During a very fruitful meeting, Prime Minister Robert Fico expressed very strong motivation, in the form of:
• The adoption at the Slovak cabinet meeting of Wednesday 14 September of the bill to ratify the Paris Agreement.
• A solemn appeal to give precise dates for ratification, to be issued at the Bratislava summit of 16 September, which he will co-chair with the French President.
• His agreement to convene an extraordinary European Council of Ministers’ meeting in the wake of the vote by [the European] Parliament./.