Evolution group set up its operations in South Africa [fr]
Following several months of discussion, the cooperative group Evolution, leader in France and in Europe for selective animal breeding, acquired Taurus, South African longest running company in this field. Evolution now owns 60% of Taurus’ capital, the other 40% being held by former board members and the South African artificial insemination company, Ramsen. The new company named Taurus-Evolution was launched on 6 February 2015 in Bloemfontein, at the company headquarters. Evolution vice-president and H.E. Ambassador Barbier were present.
Taurus Evolution will merge the specializations of Taurus’ many years of producing local seeds, with Evolution’s technical innovation in the field of selective animal breeding.
The group also aims to develop the distribution of Evolution products imported from France. The group plans to set up in South Africa a modern collection centre and a R&D centre gathering the latest technical innovations regarding biotechnology (genotyping, sexed semen, etc.). The goal is to become the leader of the South African market for artificial insemination within the next 5 years, with more than 50% of the market shares for seeds and consumables. The group also wants to develop its service offering for dairy and meat farms which will handle breeding, selection and evaluation programmes.
In 2013, the market of beef seeds imported to South Africa represented 3,2M€. The US are the leading suppliers (39% of the market shares) followed by New Zealand (19%) and Canada (13%). France is ranking 5th (5%, 170,000€ exports).
(Source : Groupe Evolution)